Joanne Thomas currently is an American Counseling Association (ACA) Blogger who has documented her journey from a Resident in Counseling to a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Virginia. She was lead presenter at ACA Conference in 2016 to discuss Multicultural Perspectives of Career Choices and Masters Level Students.
Joanne has an expansive resume within the field of mental health which includes work at a State Mental Health Hospital, Acute Care Psychiatric Facility and providing counseling services at a Juvenile Detention Center, Alternative School for adolescents and Community-Based Counseling agencies.
She is a Registered Play Therapist and Chair of the Fredericksburg Chapter of Virginia Association for Play Therapy providing trauma-informed interventions as an EMDR Trained Clinician working towards EMDR Certification. Her goal is to promote that play therapy interventions can be utilized across the lifespan.
- B.A. Psychology- San Diego State University
- M.A. Counseling Psychology- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- National Board for Certified Counselors
- Virginia Counselors Association
- Association for Play Therapy
- Virginia Community Response Network
- Central VA EMDR Regional Network
- Northern Virginia Licensed Professional Counselors (NVLPC)
- Virginia Association for Play Therapy
- Greater Richmond Trauma Informed Provider (GrScan.com)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)